3 Factors To Consider While Choosing A Level Gauge
Posted in Uncategorised, on February 04, 2022 By Admin
For accurately measuring fluids in complex systems, level gauges are the best option. In general, level gauges comprise several components such as head, float, anchors, coupling, support brackets and much more. The 5 basic types of level gauges, which are magnetic, reflex, bi-colour, tubular and transparent have also been discussed extensively. However, what are the various parameters that need to be taken into account before selecting this device for an operation?
3 such parameters will be discussed here in terms of level gauge selection.
Perhaps the most fundamental criteria, measuring range means the maximum and minimum range that the level gauge can display without errors. Also known as column height, a consumer should take this into account along with any possible fluctuations in the fluid level.
When it comes to system specifications, there are a variety of parameters that need to be taken into account.
- Maximum operating pressure: It is the maximum pressure that the device can withstand, specified by the manufacturer.
- Material temperature range: It is the maximum temperature the device can function in, specified by the manufacturer.
- Maximum liquid specific gravity: Liquid specific gravity can be defined as the ratio of the density of the material being stored to the density of water at a specified temperature. The maximum liquid-specific gravity will also be defined by the manufacturer for a particular device.
- Maximum material density: It can be defined as the maximum material density that the device can sustain, specified by the manufacturer.
Finally, what kind of medium the level gauge will be measuring is also important for appropriate device selection. There are basically 3 types of medium that can be stored and measured.
- Liquid Medium: Includes fluids such as water, gasoline, hydraulic fluid or highly viscous fluids.
- Gaseous Medium: Includes steam, LPG, natural gas and other similar media.
- Solid Medium: These generally comprise dry materials like powders and bulk solids like chemicals, minerals, sugar, starch, and more.
Hence, by keeping these 3 factors in mind, it’s possible to select the optimal level gauge for your system.
With decades of experience, we at McRae Engineering Equipment Limited specialize in supplying quality process heaters, claw pumps, valve assemblies, actuators, and a plethora of other engineering solutions. To know more about our product catalogue, contact us today.